Wednesday, March 17, 2010

high rise, beat of the avenue, bright eyes and subtle variations of blue



[This post now has pictures! Enjoy!]

Jack and I left at about 8:30 for the Peterborough train station, and arrived in plenty of time for me to catch my train. He had given me £10 “to get a drink or something on the train,” so since I had taken too long getting ready and packing and had only had time for an apple in the car by way of breakfast, I bought a cheese scone at the coffee shop at the station. I pronounced it “scon” with a short “o” because that’s how Jan always says it, but then the cashier lady said it with a long “o” sort of as though she was correcting me and I felt silly…


My cheese scone, and Wyvner:




The train was on time and I was on time and I found my reserved seat, which happily was at a window, but someone was in the aisle, and I was carrying my satchel and a bag of food for Jane and my pillow and it was so awkward trying to get my things into the compartment above and me into my seat and not knock into her or hold up the people behind me for too terribly long. I hate going anywhere carrying things. It just makes everything so difficult. But I want the things. I need a magic bag that can fit lots of things into a small space.

I fell asleep for part of the way into Kings Cross because it was the same way I had come to get there and I figured I needed sleep more than I needed to see the view.

At Kings Cross, I had to take the tube to Paddington Station because that’s where the train to Oxford leaves. I was very proud of myself for looking at a map and figuring out where to go to get on the correct tube line and get there, and then when I got there, finding the right place to leave from for Oxford. I looked for a bear but I didn’t see one. I did find bathrooms that cost 30p to use, however. I thought that was one of the most ridiculous things I’d ever seen.



Pics of Paddington Station:





When I found my reserved seat on the train to Oxford, I thought, “Oh, sure, this isn’t awkward.” My seat was at one of those tables, with a businessman sitting across the table from me. But he spent the whole ride absorbed in his work on his laptop, so it wasn’t too bad. At the first stop a little old lady came and sat next to me., and asked if I was going to Oxford and if I knew what time the train was getting in there.

“About 12:30, I believe.”

We actually got in at about 12:10, but I don’t know if the train was early or if I just didn’t remember correctly. When I went out of the station – there was Jane! And we were happy, and she took the bag of stuff and my pillow, and we walked through the sunshine down the Oxford streets, and went to the MCR (middle common room) for her college which is St. Anne’s. And I gave her her presents of poptarts and brownie mix, and we had lunch. She introduced me to her invention of “oatmeal tea,” which is what it sounds like – you put oatmeal in your tea right after you make it, as much as you want according to how thick you want it and whether you want to drink it or eat it with a spoon. It sounds odd but it is delicious and, as Jane says, “like a warm hug for your stomach.”

View out the window in the MCR:



We tucked my things into a corner there and went off to explore Oxford. We went to two museums, the Ashmolean museum and the Museum of the History of Science.




The Ashmolean had lots of awesome ancient Egyptian things. It’s funny – when I’m not in a museum I think, “Oh. Museums. Meh.” And think I’m not very enthusiastic about them. But then as soon as I’m inside one I get lost in entire fascination with everything that’s there and spend forever looking at every little thing and reading everything.

The museum of the history of science was so cool – full of old scientific tools and chemical things and everything from the time when modern medicine was just beginning.

This thing is so cool. It's a miniature globe, with a case, and on the inside of the case is a map of all the stars...


We also stopped by “the Department” which is the building where the department of Linguistics (Jane’s program) is housed. But we couldn’t get into the common room where Jane says the crazy old linguists are because it was closed off for something.

While we were walking I saw this bunny in a bicycle basket, and he was so cute that I gave him tuppence.


Oh and we went to a store called Uncle Sam’s that has vintage clothing and were silly.





Pics of walking around Oxford:






Then we walked to Jane’s friend Subi’s house because Subi leaves this morning to go back to India. And all Jane’s friends ended up turning up and I got to meet them all and they are so fun.



Steven (the one in the centre of the photo) was there when we arrived, and barked like a dog before we saw him, and we both thought there was really a dog there and were like, “Where did it go?” which of course amused him to no end.

Look what they had at their apartment! (the purple boxes)


Then it was dark by the time we left, and I thought it would be cold and tiring walking back, but it turned out I had plenty of energy, and we ran into another of Jane’s friends after we stopped and got my stuff from the MCR and he helped us carry things, so that was nice.

A store on the way to Summertown:


After we ditched my things at Jane’s room we went back out around the corner to Tesco – which is like a very very small Family Fare – and bought things to make veggie pizza for supper. Naan bread and brocolli and tomatoes and also carrots for snacking on later. Jane had tomato sauce back at her flat already.

And look what I found at Tesco!


So we made the pizzas in the kitchen and Michael from Nigeria (Michael isn’t his actual name but I can’t spell his actual name) was there too so we talked to him, and teased him for playing sappy music . And then we made bread. Or actually, we mixed the dough, and then Jane finished making it while I got ready for bed because I was ridiculously sleepy and couldn’t think straight so Jane kept asking me if I was okay. But after I had a shower and was laying down I was more perky so we chatted for a bit before we went to sleep.

We slept in, and had oatmeal with real brown sugar, and toast from the homemade bread, and now I’m writing. And that is my whirlwind write-up of my first day at Oxford. I’m going to post pictures of everything later, if I can.

5 comments:

Shan said...

"I need a magic bag that can fit lots of things into small space."

Like Hagrid gave Harry, right? :D

I am totally loving reading. So glad you made it to Oxford and had a great day!

Ever Thankful said...

Wow, Joanna! I can't begin to tell you just how much I am enjoying all of your posts. You describe things and feelings so well that I feel like you have taken me on your trip with you. Thank your for taking all of us along for the ride!
~Cathy Bowman
P.S. I need one of those Mary Poppins' magic carpet bags too! You'd be the right place to find one! ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the names like "Kings Cross" and "Paddington Station" it's like what I have read in books over the years and now it's so real because you are there! I just might try Oatmeal in my tea, mainly because I like the "warm hug for your tummy" idea! The museums sound very interesting. Now you can always say, "I've been to Oxford! Sounds impressive to me!
With much Love,Grandma Sally

loisgroat said...

Dot Wiarda says scone with a short "o". And she should know! :)

Thaddaeus said...

The pronunciation of the word across the United Kingdom varies. According to one academic study, two-thirds of the British population pronounce it /ˈskɒn/, rhyming with "con" and "John", with the preference rising to 99% in the Scottish population. The rest pronounce it /ˈskəʊn/, rhyming with "cone" and "Joan". British dictionaries usually show the "con" form as the preferred pronunciation, while recognizing that the "cone" form also exists. (Wikipedia)

And i want a magic bag too. One of these days we'll be able to digitize physical objects. but a paper clip would be like a terabyte, so we may have to wait awhile. Not to mention we'd have to invent a machine that not only can digitize physical objects, but can bring them back.